My partnership with One World has been an uplifting and motivational experience not only for me personally and professionally but also for my students. We have experienced so many accomplishments. First, we have successfully completed all the requirements of the United Nations Sustainability pledge and our school’s logo is posted on the site in recognition of our commitment to offsetting our global footprint.
Next, students have been engaged in an array of service learning projects with the global environment as its first priority. These projects have been empowering our students to become global citizens and agents of change. Projects have included:
- Recycling water bottles and making a donation to the World Oceans
- Recycling crayons and markers
- Working with their 7th grade partners at West Hollow Middle School learning about hydroponics
- Analyzing the inequalities of food around the globe
- Creating a pollinator garden and vegetable garden
- Conducting over 7,000 Eco-Acts
- Participating in the Smart Kids Energy Efficiency Program with Con Edison. This unique, hands-on program teaches students about electricity, natural gas, and water. Concepts taught students the value of conserving resources and using them efficiently to help save our oceans and our world.
Teachers have collaborated to rewrite the curriculum to intertwin global citizenship lessons to educate for a global network awareness, to connect through good character and empower through service learning I have collaborated with educators from around the world during One World week and was invited to attend workshops in China to continue working with these educators to bring about change and empower our students to become global citizens.
Most recently, in recognition for our work two of my 5th grade students and myself will be aboard the Peace Boat, which through its participation in the Steering Group of ICAN (International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons) received a Nobel Peace Prize in 2017, to join in World Ocean Day for an extraordinary opportunity to participate in an Ocean Explorer educational program.
My partnership with One World has opened global doors and has enriched my life and my students’ lives. Thank you for this invaluable opportunity and I hope we can continue to include these valuable lessons for students.